5.24.2009

Memorial Day Weekend

Wish I had some better pictures, but I snapped these in a hurry in order to have some some record of how things are going.

The peas are working their way up the trellis.  I am wondering if I should have thinned them out more as right now they are climbing into each other as much as up the strings.  In the picture the wire fencing is still in place, but I did take it off afterwards.


The beans are progressing interestingly.  The group in the non-mulched soil have been doing great, and look really healthy.  Also, the sunflowers I planted inside the teepee are coming up.


However, the beans planted amidst the leaf mulch look pretty bad.  A couple of them have been chewed up completely, and the few surviving look pretty pathetic.  There must have been some kind of bug that was introduced with the leaves.


The tomato experiement, though, doesn't show nearly the differences of the beans.  Both sides look to be doing quite well, and at this point I can't see any noticeable difference between the mulched and the unmulched groups.



Peas and potatoes are both looking fine.


All 3 lettuce types.


The yard as it is looking now.


The latest patio addition.  An old wood stove that we brought home from the Maine cabin to use as an outdoor fireplace.



Some other things that I've done recentely that I don't have pictures of.

-The deck is stained
-I powerwashed the patio
-Planted zucchini and squash in the beds alongside the beans
-planted rows of sunflowers along the side of the garden facing the parking lot
-working on building low stone wall as edging around herb garden

Some things I'm hoping to accomplish soon:

-Stain the picnic table
-build step for deck
-plant melons
-plant more herbs
-plant Dhalia bulbs and Zinnias in flower garden

2 comments:

Peter said...

Rob, I am so jealous! Seriously... we are closing on a house in the next two weeks... So, that is really exciting. But we are going to be so swamped with the inside, that the outside is not going to get the attention it deserves really till the fall I'm assuming. We should get together soon... any thoughts on a good or bad time?
I want to see the garden at 817 in action, live in person. I like keeping up with it!
~Peter

The Jones' said...

Hey Pete,

You are welcome in the garden anytime!

What is the latest with your new house? I'm really excited to hear about it and to come over for a visit. Let me know if you need any help moving.

Also, we really want to come and check out The Five sometime soon. Hopefully we'll talk to you soon.